Send your children to school tomorrow, Friday, September 26th wearing their PJs! Kids can bring in donations to fund educational events like assemblies. The class with the most donations will get a pizza party at the end of the school year. Thanks to parent volunteers, Megan and Stephanie, for organizing this event!
It's not too late to place an online order for this year's first Market Day. Take a look online today and consider Westowne favorites like fried green beans & zucchini or raspberry lemonade pie. Our account number is 8132. Pickup is scheduled for Wednesday, October 1st from 6:00 - 7:00 PM in the cafeteria.
Not interested in Market Day? That's okay. If you would still like to support the PTA, consider an "opt-out" donation of just $5 or $10--which is 100% profit and will be used to fund events like Literature Night.
Fifth Grade Committee
The Fifth Grade Committee is a group of 5th grade parent volunteers who work together with the school staff to ensure that every child has an extra special experience during their last year at Westowne. We plan and hold fundraisers to pay for the Annual Trip to Philadelphia, the Memory Book, the Moving-Up Ceremony, and a Party. We are having a Kick-Off Meeting on Tuesday, September 30th at 6:30 to create sub-committees to oversee the various initiatives.
We look forward to seeing you at our Kick-Off Meeting. If you would like more information or would like to volunteer, please contact The Fifth Grade Committee Chairs, Mary Peters and Lori Kleppin.
Fall Festival is Saturday, October 25th from 3:00 - 6:00. It's an entertaining family event sure to have something for everyone,like new games provided by Catonsville Assembly of God's Storyquest after-school program (thanks to Chrissy!) and a bike-powered spin art machine provided by The HUB C'ville Bike Shop (thanks Amy!).
Take a look at our Volunteer Spot form to get a sneak peek at the festivities and sign up to help.
Start saving up to win these fantastic Silent Auction and Raffle prizes:
- 2 AMC movie theater tickets
- An American Girl doll
- 2 $50 gift certificates to District Chophouse & Brewery in DC thanks to Westowne parent and District Chophouse brewmaster Barrett Lauer
- A home cooked meal by Westowne grandmother Barbara Jacobwitz
- House-cleaning services by Westowne parent Chrissy Heiland
- 2 homemade fall wreaths from Westowne parent Justine Stull
- Comic books from Cosmic Comix
Classroom Donations and Support
As part of our Grade Parent program, we encourage Westowne's teachers to let us know when they need parent support. We can then meet their needs for donations and volunteers so that all of our children benefit.
Here are some of the most recent requests. If you have any of these items collecting dust, consider donating them to the school. Items may be turned in at the school office with the teacher's name. Let us know if you have questions, and let the teachers know if you are free to volunteer your time. Just be sure to complete volunteer training online first. Thank you.
- Ms. Musacchio's 2nd grade class has asked for chapter books. They also need a room parent whose child is in this class and can help with tasks like coordinating volunteers and planning parties.
- Mrs. Ingle's 4th grade class has requested large exercise balls.
- Mrs. Myers, Mrs. Ingle, and Ms. Bill's 4th grade classes would all like room parents. The 4th grade is also in need of a Grade Parent to serve as the liaison between the 4th grade and the PTA. This position is temporarily filled by board members.
- Mrs. Houston would like groups of small manipulatives that can be used for counting--like blocks, plastic shapes, pretend coins, or art supplies.
- Ms. Rotolo's kindergarten class has requested puzzles and bottle caps.
- Kindergarten would love help in the classrooms and for Ms. Becky, the only aide this year.
- Extra hands are always needed to help Ms. Marion in the cafeteria. Adults are needed to open juice boxes and chip bags, dole out straws and sporks, deliver ketchup and ranch dressing and be a tender presence when there is crying over the proverbial spilled milk. Contact the front office about volunteering.
Are you an Amazon Prime subscriber? If not, use the Amazon link on our homepage, sign up for a free trial, and Westowne earns up to $1 for every new subscriber.
Loyalty Reward Programs
Support Westowne and the PTA, and even save yourself some cash:
- Target - Designate Westowne (school ID# 57753) and pay with your Target REDcard credit or REDcard debit.
- Giant - Participate in the A+ School Rewards program by registering your card (school ID# 01581)
- Safeway - Sign up for the eScrip program to contribute funds from in-store purchases paid for with any method other than a credit card. And while you're at it, take a look at the eScrip online mall. Securely register your credit cards, sign in to the mall portal before shopping online, and your purchases will support Westowne. Also use your registered credit or debit cards to pay when dining with your family at participating restarants; earn even more for the PTA when you complete a restaurant review.
Do you make monthly contributions to organizations that feed the hungry, play your kind of music, or keep you entertained? The PTA now accepts monthly donations, too. Consider setting up a recurring payment of $5, $10, or $20 via PayPal. For many people, these smaller amounts are very affordable, even if writing a one-time $120 check at the start of the school year wouldn't work well.
Westowne Spirit Wear
Westowne t-shirts and sweatshirts are now available for online orders. Show your owl pride!
Holiday Shoppe Donations
Send us your gently used toys, knick knacks, and "Dad" gifts for the Holiday Shoppe. The kids love this event, and it is one of our biggest fundraisers. Bring donations to the front office; the PTA will do the heavy lifting from there.
Congratulations Marissa from Mrs. Ritzes' class for winning the summer contest! So far, the top three classrooms for the end of year party are Ms. McIntosh, Mrs. Mannion, and Mrs. Cvengros. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to clip and send in your Box Tops.
Also send in your Coke Rewards, Campbell's Labels for Education, Kellogg's Family Rewards, and TerraCycle items. See our rewards page for more details.
SweetFrog Restaurant Night
Join Westowne friends for self-serve frozen yogurt on Tuesday, October 7th from 3:00 - 9:00. Twenty percent of Westowne's purchases will be donated to our PTA. Copies of the flyer will be sent home in your child's folder or can be printed from this image or our Facebook group. Share copies with family and friends. *Please be sure to bring the flyer with you.*
School Facilities Community Forums
Please join our community on Tuesday, September 30, 2014, at 6:30 PM at Catonsville High School. Baltimore County Public Schools is hosting five community forums this fall to solicit feedback from students, parents, stakeholders and others about school facilities across the school district. This event is our area's opportunity to share concerns about our current building and the plan for our future facilities.
Baltimore Book Festival
This family-friendly event promises to be both entertaining and promote literacy. The Baltimore Book Festival runs this weekend, September 26th - 28th, in the Inner Harbor.
Free Fall Baltimore
With over 300 free events in October, there's something for everyone during the annual Free Fall Baltimore.