Continue the Earth Day celebrations tomorrow, Friday, April 21st. Students are encouraged to wear blue and green and either walk or bike to school. They will also participate in themed activities throughout the day.
Congratulations, Ms. Robey!
The PTA is very excited to announce that Westowne kindergarten teacher Ms. Robey will be receiving the 2016/2017 Primary Outstanding Educator Award from the PTA Council of Baltimore County. The awards ceremony is tonight, April 20th at 7:00 PM, at Cockeysville Middle School. Please feel free to join us as we celebrate Ms. Robey's heartfelt dedication to educating our students!
Last call! We are still accepting students for Running Club. This session begins next Tuesday, April 25th. Running Club will be taught by a group of Westowne teachers and led by Ms. Brumfield, our school counselor, on Tuesday afternoons until 5:00 for 3rd-5th graders.
Please send in your registration, club fees, and Participants’ Waiver TOMORROW, Friday, April 21st so we can include your child.
PTA Event Calendar
Let us help you save the dates for all upcoming school and PTA events. Check out our online calendar for clubs, Picture Day (Friday, April 28th), Movie Night, and more--as well as the newly announced last day of school this year (June 13th!).
Memory Book Photos Needed
Fifth grade families, please help the 5th Grade Committee collect photos for the student Memory Books. Upload pictures of your students and their classmates from 5th grade--from this year and throughout their years at Westowne.
1. Go to: https://westowne5thgrade2017.shutterfly.com/
2. Click on the Photos & Videos tab on the top menu
3. Click on the small +Add Album option below the top menu
4. Upload your pictures!
4th of July Committee Donation
The 4th of July Committee is holding an event later this spring to raise funds for the festivities. They have asked area schools and PTAs to put together baskets for their raffle.We chose a "Westowne's Favorites" theme, including some of our spirit wear. Please consider supporting Catonsville's 4th of July celebrations by donating gift certificates to local places your families enjoy. Bonus points if the places are within Westowne boundaries. We only need a few. Please email us with ideas or questions.
One of our second graders is holding a book drive for Project Make a Difference. Find his collection box near the school office and drop in gently used books for all ages by Friday, April 28th. Email Amy with questions.
IHOP Restaurant Night
Our monthly Pajama Spirit Day is THURSDAY, April 27th. Students and teachers may wear their pajamas to school. This month, participants can chose to Light It Up Blue and wear blue for Autism Awareness, too.
Your PTA organizes Pajama Day. We encourage those who can to make a donation to fund fun and educational events like assemblies and Field Day. The donation is very appreciated but entirely optional. If desired, please send cash or check made out to Westowne PTA in your student’s folder on Thursday, April 27th.
Teacher Appreciation Week
Join us in showering our teachers and staff with gratitude May 1st - 5th. There are several ways families can participate:
- Donate gift cards. We are collecting gift cards now through Monday, May 1st. These gift cards will be raffled to the teachers with the goal of giving each faculty member a gift. Ideas include Target, Amazon, coffee shops, and restaurants valued at around $10. Gift cards may be sent in your child's folder in an envelope marked with "PTA."
- Mark your calendars and put on your aprons! With your help on Tuesday, May 2nd, we will fill the teachers’ lounges with your homemade & bakery quality sweets. And on Thursday, May 4th, we will fill the lounges with yummy snacks (such as fruit/veggie trays, pita/hummus, chips/salsa, individually wrapped energy bars, etc.). Sign up here to let everyone know what you can contribute. Remember we have two teachers’ lounges this year, so we need lots of folks to participate! Donations may be dropped off those mornings by 10:00 AM.
- Volunteer! We need a few extra hands. Email us or find the Westowne Elementary Community Forum on Facebook.
There are so many ways we can support our school. Here are some recent requests:
- Volunteers are needed to help teach the students how to separate their trash from their recycling, Monday through Friday, 11:15-2:00. Please contact Ms. Getsinger if you can help.
- Green Club needs a volunteer to assemble their new salad table so they can get started on growing plants like salad greens. Please let Ms. Alter know if you can help.
Stream Clean Up
Continue your Earth Day celebrations by beautifying our neighborhood and waterways at Herbert Run Stream on Saturday, April 29th from 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM. Thanks to Patapsco Heritage Greenway for partnering with Westowne to organize this event. Pre-registration online is encouraged but not required. Come wearing work clothes, boots, and gloves.
All trash collected will go toward the Clean Green 15 environmental grant competition!
Honor Society Pet Rescue Supply Drive
Last month, Westowne's Honor Society gathered care package supplies for military personnel serving our country abroad. There were 9 boxes, weighing almost 90 pounds, full of books, games, toiletries, snacks and more!
Next week, April 24th - 28th, the Honor Society will collect items for area pet rescue groups. We need clean, used or new towels, blankets, and sheets and any size dog collars with a clip-closure (no buckles please).
Battle of the Books
Almost 30 students in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade will participate in Westowne’s in-school Battle of the Books competition on Friday, April 28th, beginning at 1:30. These students have been reading books since the fall – that’s a lot of dedication and commitment. They’ve been working with others to prepare. Now they are ready to compete to see how well they know the books they’ve been reading. Good luck Battlers!