Welcome Back Brunch
On Thursday, August 20th, we will host our annual Welcome Back Brunch for Westowne's faculty and staff. With the support of our community, we strive to run this event with donations. Please bake your favorite brunch foods and drop them off at the school at 10:00 that morning. Send us an email or find us on Facebook with donation questions.
A special thank you to Dunkin Donuts (5303 Baltimore National Pike), Giant of Catonsville, Giant on Edmondson, Giant on Wilkins, and The Breadery for their generous support.
For those who placed an order, all kits will be delivered to the school for parent pickup next week at Sneak a Peek. Please plan to attend and get your child's supplies. Kits cannot be delivered to the homerooms for you. Please see below for Sneak a Peek details.
Bulk Up on BoxTops
All three of our local warehouse clubs are offering Bonus BoxTops on select products. Visit BJ's, Costco, or Sam's Club for details. Remember that Bonus BoxTops cannot be submitted glued or taped onto collection sheets. Please submit them separately by sending them into school with your students in an envelope or baggie marked with "PTA." Thank you!
Committee Chairs Needed
With a new year comes open positions, and you may be the perfect fit.
- Fall Festival's Silent Auction and Raffle (3 people) - Solicit donated items from businesses (mainly desk work involving letter writing and online applications), make raffle baskets and present silent auction items, and man the silent auction during the event. We already have two people who can help but need someone to take the lead. We'll provide a great support network so you're not swimming alone with sharks.
- Christmas Tree Ornaments (2 people) - Organize the craft materials for each grade to make ornaments for Catonsville's tree lighting ceremony. This project will occur the first week of November.
Encourage your business to become a Westowne sponsor. Donations are tax deductible and provide advertisement (in this newsletter, on our website, and on Facebook) with an educational benefit.
Sneak a Peek
Thursday, August 20th, 6:00 pm
Come drop off your school supplies, meet your teacher, and then join the PTA outside in front of the gym at 6:30 for a donut social. We'll have spirit wear and membership sign up. We're also expecting a visit from Hootie, our owl mascot! And thanks to Dunkin Donuts (5303 Baltimore National Pike). This location is managed by a Westowne family and is supporting Sneak a Peek for the second year in a row.
We need to borrow three canopies so we stay cool and dry regardless of the weather. If you have one you wouldn't mind setting up for this event, send us an email.
Back to School Nights
Join us for video presentations from BCPS and the principal, as well as the general membership meeting and budget vote for the PTA. Afterwards, come to the cafe for refreshments, join the PTA, and buy spirit wear.
Tuesday, September 1st, 6:30 - 8:30 pm
- For 1st & 2nd grade parents and caregivers
- For 3rd to 5th grade parents and caregivers
- 5th grade parents, come to the cafe to meet up with the PTA's 5th Grade Committee. Pitch in to help with fundraising and event planning for your child's last year at Westowne.
- We need a couple volunteers to run the PTA table. If you will attend the first Back to School Night for your student and would be willing to help out the second event, let us know.
The school supply lists for all grades may be found on the school's website. In addition to the required supplies, each grade also provides a list of suggested donation items to help get your children's classrooms off to a good start. Consider supporting your child's teacher by donating some of these frequently needed supplies.
Information letters from the school have been mailed as they have been finalized. Find your child's teacher and classroom on the front page. The label says "T/teacher's name R/room number."
If you do not receive a packet by Monday, the 17th, call the school office directly so they can work with you. 410-887-0854
Westowne is a Green School, so staff and students work together to care for our planet. Read about the efforts in the Green Initiatives blog. The Green Team could use a couple parent volunteers throughout the school year. Contact Ms. Getsinger if you would like to help out. And thanks to Westowne parent Carey Berlin for stepping up to coordinate school garden cleanups.
Frederick Road Fridays
The Catonsville Chamber of Commerce's Frederick Road Fridays concert series brings live music to Catonsville throughout the summer. Located in The Shops on Mellor, the series offers free outdoor musical performances and children's activities while in walking distance of local merchants and restaurants.
Every Friday through August 28, 2015
6:30 – 8:30 pm
15 Mellor Avenue