It's back to school time!
PTA Thank Yous
The PTA Board would like to thank everyone who pitched in to make Sneak a Peek and the Welcome Back Brunch a success! Thanks to the many of you who gathered information and signed up at the PTA table, shared "How I Spent My Summer" artwork and letters, baked muffins and cobblers, ran the events, and rooted for our kids, teachers, and staff. You make Westowne great.
We would also like to thank our event sponsors:
- Dunkin Donuts (5303 Baltimore National Pike) - Our neighbor and fellow Westowne parent for donating munchkins for Sneak a Peek and coffee and donuts for the brunch
- The Breadery
- Giant - The Catonsville, Edmondson Avenue, and Wilkins Avenue locations
Thanks to the support of these stores, along with Westowne bakers Noel and Jessica and Westowne student decorations, we were able to run these events without using PTA funds.
PTA Membership Renewal
Each fall, all interested community members are encouraged to join or renew their membership in Westowne Elementary PTA. Joining is the first step in supporting our ability to be a resource for our children, teachers, and staff. To learn more about what we do, visit our website.
Dues are only $6. $4 goes to National, Maryland, and Baltimore County PTA; $2 covers our event insurance and required trainings for board members. Parents, grandparents, neighbors, and teachers are welcome to join and be involved. Join now!
Looking for a way to share your skills with Westowne? There are many ways you can help, so we created this list of volunteers. Please email us if you're interested in one of these jobs or another position.
- Pajama Day Co-coordinator: On the last full Friday each month, the children get to wear pajamas to school and raise money for educational events like assemblies. We have a volunteer who will distribute and collect the envelopes from the classrooms. We need a volunteer to make flyers each month and then help count the funds.
- Movie Night Co-coordinator: During this fun event, we show a movie in our gym. Families are welcome and get to setup chairs and sleeping bags while watching a movie and eating snacks with friends. Our goal this year is to run four movie nights. We need someone who would like to help our coordinator plan and run this event.
- Holiday Shoppe: A Westowne favorite, each December, students get to shop for trinkets and gifts at our school-based flea market. Because the majority of the goods are donated, this event raises considerable funds for educational events like Literature Night. We need a lead coordinator with energy and vision, as well as coordinators who will manage the goods and plan coverage of cashiers and shopping assistants for the event.
- Hooty: Our beloved owl mascot is in search of a new home with a mild-mannered alter ego who wants to assure he makes appearances at events throughout the school year.
Teachers’ Educational Supplies Fund
The Teachers’ Educational Supplies Fund is sponsored by Westowne PTA and is designed to help teachers buy instructional materials to enhance the curriculum. By helping the teachers, you’re helping your child learn.
Please donate $10 per grade of your child/ren. Our goal is to raise $2250 so that all 45 of Westowne’s teachers can be given a $50 reimbursement for the purchase of educational materials and supplies. Donations can be sent in your child's folder or made at any PTA sponsored event.
The BCPS Special Education Citizens’ Advisory Committee (SECAC) seeks collaboration and positive change based on input from parents, community partners, service providers, educators and administrators on issues relative to the provision of a free appropriate public education (FAPE) and the achievement of students with disabilities.
- SECAC meets once monthly during the school year, typically on Mondays.
- Meeting are held at 6901 N. Charles Street ,Towson, MD 21204 (Building E Room 114)
- All meetings are open to the public. Anyone with an interest in improving education outcomes for students with disabilities is encouraged to attend, ask questions, and give suggestions.
Contact Melissa Pound, the PTA's SECAC representative, with any questions.
Box Tops Sweepstakes
Play this quick game up to 5 times per day to make sure your Box Top gets saved, and Westowne could win 5000 Bonus Box Tops. Or register and then let your kids play.
Returning students - remember to submit your Box Tops for Education summer collection sheet by Friday, September 12th. Every student who turns in the completed sheet by by the deadline will be entered in a raffle to win a gift card to sweetFrog in Catonsville!
Wondering about the Common Core Curriculum? Westowne parent Kimberly Feldman, an educator and doctorate student, explains the ins and outs and how to come out on top. Check out our blog for her regular posts.
Back to School Nights
Westowne will host two Back to School Nights this year. These evenings focus on giving parents information about what to expect this school year. Mark your calendars:
- Tuesday, September 2, 6:30-8:30 for 3rd - 5th grade
- Tuesday, September 9, 6:30-8:30 for preschool - 2nd grade
- Learn about the curriculum and plans for your child/ren this year from their teachers and the principals
- Learn about the PTA and the proposed budget
- Buy Westowne spirit wear for yourselves and your kids
- Contribute to the Teachers' Educational Supplies Fund
- Join the PTA
- Sign up to support upcoming PTA events
September 10-16, Baltimore celebrates the bicentennial of the penning of our national anthem with a free festival featuring star-studded concerts, history demonstrations, fireworks, and more.
The Academy Heights community yard sale is Saturday, October 4th (rain date: October 11th). See their website for further information.