SweetFrog Restaurant Night
Join Westowne friends for self-serve frozen yogurt on Tuesday, October 7th from 3:00 - 9:00. Twenty percent of Westowne's purchases will be donated to our PTA. Copies of the flyer will be sent home in your child's folder or can be printed from this image or our Facebook group. Share copies with family and friends.
Membership for last school year expired as of the end of September, which means if you haven't renewed already, now is the time. Many of you are helping with various projects, and we are so grateful. We need to ask one more thing of you: take a minute--and $6 for each adult in your household--to make sure your membership is up to date. Thank you.
Our first Pajama Day this school year was a great success. Not only were kids showing their Westowne pride in PJs, we also raised over $350. Thanks to all the parents and students who supported this event, we're well on our way to funding entertaining, educational assemblies.
Common Core Blog
In this informative guest blog post from Westowne parent and educator, Kimberly Feldman, get the breakdown on what many people consider the challenges with the Common Core Standards and education in the US.
Fall Festival is Saturday, October 25th from 3:00 - 6:00. It's an entertaining family event sure to have something for everyone.
Start saving up to win these fantastic Silent Auction and Raffle prizes:
- 2 AMC movie theater tickets
- An American Girl doll
- 2 $50 gift certificates to District Chophouse & Brewery in DC thanks to Westowne parent and District Chophouse brewmaster Barrett Lauer
- A home cooked meal by Westowne grandmother Barbara Jacobwitz
- House-cleaning services by Westowne parent Chrissy Heiland
- Bud Norris autographed picture from the Orioles
- Gift card from Play it Again Sports
- Gift card from Apple iTunes Store
- 2 homemade fall wreaths from Westowne parent Justine Stull
- Comic books from Cosmic Comix
Making all this fun happen takes many hands. Take a look at our Volunteer Spot form and sign up to help.
Reward Programs for Family and Friends
Have relatives in New England? They can earn funds for Westowne when they shop at Stop & Shop grocery stores in New England, New York, New Jersey and Delaware. They can register their Stop & Shop cards and choose Westowne.
In fact, friends and family members can designate Westowne for their Giant, Safeway, and Target REDcards. They can also clip their Box Tops, Campbell's, Kellogg's, and Coke rewards for us.
So far this school year, we have raised $336.80 through the Box Tops program. We have also earned $365.49 with only 28 Target REDcard participants. Share the information, sign up, and keep on clipping. See our rewards page for more details. Thanks for your support, Westowne family and friends.
Classroom Donations and Support
As part of our Grade Parent program, we encourage Westowne's teachers to let us know when they need parent support. We can then meet their needs for donations and volunteers so that all of our children benefit.
Here are some of the most recent requests. If you have any of these items collecting dust, consider donating them to the school. Items may be turned in at the school office with the teacher's name. Let us know if you have questions, and let the teachers know if you are free to volunteer your time. Just be sure to complete volunteer training online first. Thank you!
- Ms. Musacchio's 2nd grade class has asked for chapter books. They also need a room parent whose child is in this class and can help with tasks like coordinating volunteers and planning parties.
- Mrs. Ingle's 4th grade class has requested large exercise balls.
- Mrs. Myers 4th grade class would all like a room parent.
- Mrs. Houston would like groups of small manipulatives that can be used for counting--like blocks, plastic shapes, pretend coins, or art supplies.
- Ms. Rotolo's kindergarten class has requested puzzles and bottle caps.
- Kindergarten would love help in the classrooms and for Ms. Becky, the only aide this year.
- Extra hands are always needed to help Ms. Marion in the cafeteria in meeting all the kids' needs during lunch. Contact the front office about volunteering.
This web-based communication and collaboration tool provides much of the information you want about what your child is working on and how he or she is doing. Create a parent account and then add your children using the parent verification code/s provided at Back to School Night or sent home in your children's folders. If you need a code, contact Mrs. Ashley in the front office.
School Facilities Community Forum
Baltimore County Public Schools hosted a Southwest area forum Tuesday evening to solicit feedback from our community about school facilities. Representatives from Westowne PTA were there to gather information and share concerns. See our blog for the meeting recap.
Westowne Wins Environmental Literacy Grant
Westowne won first place for an elementary school in the Team BCPS Clean Green 15 Litter Challenge and a $2000 grant!
Through this program, BCPS schools and their community supporters competed this past spring to see which schools could log the most 15-minute litter clean-ups. The Education Foundation of Baltimore County Public Schools awarded grants to the top-winning schools to fund school-based instructional projects emphasizing environmental literacy. Examples could include installing a reading garden or rain garden, planting trees, diverting downspouts or completing environmental education projects.
Go Westowne! And thank you to all the community members who cleaned up our neighborhood and helped our school win this grant.
Academy Heights Community Yard Sale
Browse the merchandise and then find the Westowne PTA this Saturday, October 4th, at 344 Greenlow Road. We'll be selling spirit wear and popcorn.
Oystoberfest includes live music, food, vendors, bicycle demonstrations, a kid area, and more on Saturday, October 11th, at Strawberry Fields in Catonsville. The festival begins at noon.
Free Fall Baltimore
With over 300 free events in October, there's something for everyone during the annual Free Fall Baltimore.