Holiday Shoppe Donations
Our beloved Holiday Shoppe is coming December 5th - 7th. We need donated items that students can buy as low-cost gifts for their families. Consider donating used toys, coffee mugs, re-gifted gifts, dad gifts--like neckties and hats, unopened spa products, costume jewelry, knickknacks, and other gently used items cluttering your basement. Please, no glass vases or wine glasses; they don’t survive the bus trip home. Are you crafty? Turn your artistic skills into donated Holiday Shoppe gifts!
Donations may be dropped off at the front office. Thanks so much for participating in this popular program.
We'd like to thank the following businesses for supporting the Westowne community this school year:
Platinum Level Event Sponsor
- Focused Support, LLC
- The Catonsville Cooperative Market
Bronze Level PTA Sponsor
- Varsity Cleaners & Tailors
If your company recognizes the importance of financially supporting education with the added benefit of advertisement, let us know. For a complete list of our sponsors, check out our website. Depending on the tier of support, sponsors are also featured in our newsletter and blog, on Facebook, and on Twitter.
Giant Reward Program
Thanks to the Giant A+ Rewards program, Westowne Elementary School (#01581) has the opportunity to earn cash when you shop for groceries.
All you have to do is:
• Log on to designate our school online using your Giant card, OR
• Call the A+ Hotline at 1-877-275-2758 for assistance.
Please take just a moment to designate Westowne on your account.
Westowne will host its First Annual Turkey Trot tomorrow, November 3rd at 9:45 AM. Qualifying 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders will run, and the rest of the students will get to cheer them on. The morning will also include holiday crafts, fall-themed classroom activities, and a special performance by the CHS Pep Band.
Candy Give Back
Recycling Center Contest
- hair and make-up product containers (shampoo bottles, mascara and lipstick tubes, hair gel containers, lotion bottles, blush cases, etc.)
- toothbrushes, toothpaste tubes, floss containers
- drink pouches
- ink and toner cartridges from printers
- any small electronics (GPS, phones, iPods, tablets, Ereaders, cameras, etc.)
The class who brings in the most items wins ten minutes of extra recess and gets their picture on the announcements.
Author Visit & Owl Assemblies
Maryland Green Author Jennifer Keats Curtis (JKC) is returning to Westowne for a week-long residency. She’ll work with all the classes during the week of November 6th, during their library classes. And wildlife rehabilitator, Kathy Woods, will bring her great horned owl to school to meet students on Friday, November 10th.
The BCPS Calendar is available online. Remember these important dates this month:
- Tomorrow, Friday, November 3rd - 3 hour early dismissal
- Thursday, November 16th - No Preschool or Pre-K for Conference Day
- Friday, November 17th - Schools closed for students for Conference Day
- Thursday & Friday, November 23rd & 24th - Schools closed for Thanksgiving
American Education Week
Westowne Elementary is looking forward to American Education Week on November 13th - 16th. Families are welcome to visit their children's classes. The schedule is as follows:
- Monday, the 13th: 2nd & 5th Grade 9:30-11:00
- Tuesday, the 14th: 1st Grade 9:30 - 11:00
- Wednesday, the 15th: Kindergarten 9:30 - 11:00
- Morning Preschool & Pre-K 9:30 - 11:00
- Afternoon Preschool & Pre-K 1:30 - 3:00
- Thursday, the 16th: 3rd & 4th Grade 9:30 - 11:00
Please RSVP with your name, child's name, grade, and day of the week. In order to limit wait time during visits, guests who have not yet visited this school year may chose to stop by ahead of time to have their IDs scanned. Guest should not park in bus loop but are welcome to use the main parking lot, as well as park along Harlem Lane.
Westowne hopes to see you there!
St. Jude Math-A-Thon
The St. Jude Math-A-Thon is a school-based fundraiser that benefits St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Last school year was Westowne’s first collaboration with St. Jude, and we raised $5,158.17. This year, Westowne has set a goal of $6,000! Your child will bring home more information and a permission slip (grades K- 5th only). If you decide to participate, please have your child return the permission slip to their homeroom teacher by Monday, November 13th.
If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Bill or Ms. Rees.